Last Updated on
In today’s world, electric shavers are very popular. This is because they are lightweight and very convenient since you do not need to visit a barber for your basic grooming needs. Apart from that, most of them use rechargeable batteries which makes them ideal for traveling. In this article, we shall discuss some of the most important things you should know about electric shavers. Have you been searching for the best shaver with no success? This article will guide you on factors to consider when buying an electric shaver. We shall also discuss some of the top quality shavers you can purchase today.
Types of two shavers
There are two major types of shavers. That is; manual shavers and electric shavers.
These one do not have a motor and you are supposed to pass a blade over your beards when trimming.
Advantages of manual shavers
- They provide a closer shave as compared to other types
- They are portable and easy to clean
- They are cheap
- You can replace the blades easily
- It takes longer to shave
- The blades need to be frequently sharpened
- There is a high possibility of getting nicks and cuts
- Sometimes shaving can be painful
These one are more advanced as compared to manual shavers. They are of three types. That is foil shavers, rotary shavers, and clippers.
These contain 3-4 shaving heads and are suitable for those with thick, fast-growing hairs or hairs which grows in different directions. They lift and cut the hair through the rotating cutting elements.
Advantages of Rotary shavers
- They are good for thick hairs
- They are also good if you do not need to shave every day
- They provide a solid performance
- They irritate especially to those with a sensitive skin
- Not ideal for everyday shaving
These contain a thin layer of foil around the oscillating blades. These foils prevent direct contact between the blade and the skin to prevent accidental cuts. Apart from that, they lift the hairs from your skin when trimming to give you a close shave.
- They provide a close shave
- They give a precise shaving
- They are friendly to the skin
- They should only be used in straight lines to provide a close shave
- Some do not have a rotating head which makes them hard to reach some parts of your skin
Hair Clippers/ Beard Trimmer
These are great to use on your head and on your face. They function by sending many serrated blades which trim the hair in the side to side movements.
- You can use them on your hair and also beards
- You do not need to use them daily
- Ideal for maintaining stubble
- They are not friendly to the skin
- They are not suitable for a smooth finish
Why should you buy an electric shaver?
- They are faster than manual shavers
- They are portable
- You do not need to use a shaving cream or water to prevent pain when shaving
- They reduce chances of getting nicks or cuts
- Versatility- Most electric shavers work cordless, this means you can use them anywhere.
- Most of them are affordable.
Disadvantages of Electric Shavers
- They do not give a closer shave as compared to manual shavers
- Some may irritate especially to those with a sensitive skin
- Some are a bit loud
Factors to consider when buying an electric shaver
- Price – It is good to decide on the amount of money you would like to spend. There are good shavers available for every budget.
- Battery life – This is a critical feature to consider especially if you are one of those who loves traveling. A good shaver should have a long battery life. It is also good to choose a shaver displays the status of the battery.
- Comfort – Look for a shaver which can move according to the contours of your face. If you have sensitive skin, go for a shaver with coated hypoallergenic blades.
- Power – A good shaver should cut through all types of hairs. With a powerful shaver, you take a few minutes to shave.
- Wet/ dry shave – There are some shavers which allows you to shave even in the bathroom.
- Pop up trimmer- A pop-up trimmer enables you to cut your sideburns and mustache.
- Ease of cleaning- A good shaver should be effortless to clean. Some come with a shaving brush and others have a self- cleaning system.
- Automatic shutoff – These shavers goes off automatically after they are fully charged.
Best Electric Shavers Reviews
If you are searching for a good shaver which can give you a close shave, look for this shaver. It can remove more hairs with just a single stroke. Unlike others, it has four shaving elements which enable it to cut even the hairs which lay flat on your skin. It is waterproof but does not allow wet shaving. One of the unique features of this shaver is that it has five different settings which you can choose according to the sensitivity of your skin, how close you would like to shave and the type of your hair. Apart from that, it has a clean and charge feature which takes about an hour to charge the shaver. It uses an alcohol-based liquid which can remove even the smallest hairs from the blades.
- Large handle which makes it comfortable when shaving
- It is durable
- It comes with an excellent clean and charge system
- It can adjust according to the thickness of your hair
- Easy to use
- 100% waterproof
- Does not allow wet/ dry shaving
Verdict – This shaver is ideal for those with a sensitive skin and those with a coarse hair. It has more features as compared to most of its competitors.
One of the best things with Philips Norelco 4500 is that it allows wet and dry shaving. It has an AquaTec seal which prevents it from water and makes it an ideal for both wet and dry shaving. This shaver has three rotating blades which pivot according to the contours of your face. Also, it uses dual precision blades which are very effective in trimming short and long hairs. The pop-up trimmer at the back of the shaver enables you to shave your sideburns, beards, and mustache with ease. It takes about eight hours to be fully charged, but it has 3 minutes quick charge feature which you can use when you are in a hurry. You can use it for about an hour when it is fully charged. Unlike others, it uses the lift and cut technology which enables the blades to trim even the hairs which lay flat on the skin without irritation.
- Allows wet and dry shaving
- It has 3 minutes quick charge feature
- It comes with dual precision
- Provides a smooth and comfortable shave
- The battery takes 8 hours to charge
Verdict –If you are searching for a quality shaver which you can use for either dry or wet shaving, this one is the best to consider. It is waterproof and very friendly to your skin.
This one is one of the most affordable shavers you can find today. It is easy and very comfortable to use. This shaver uses a comfort-cut blade system which allows the round edges of the blades to move smoothly without irritation. The head pivots in four different directions which enables it to move smoothly according to the shape of your skin. It is very easy to clean since it is waterproof. You just need to open and rinse it under a running tap.
- It has comfort-cut blade system
- It uses a powerful Lithium-Ion battery
- It is lightweight
- It has a pivoting head which can move in different directions
- It has a protection cap
- Good LED display
- Easy to wash
- Build quality is not the best
- It is not very powerful
Verdict – This shaver is one of the best to people on a budget. It has most of the features you can find in other expensive shavers. Apart from that, it is easy to clean and the battery lasts for a long time.
I hope that you have learned something from the article. If you have been searching for the best electric shaver, you are now able to determine the best after going through the factors you should consider when buying. My advice to you is to go for any of those we have reviewed in this article since we have done a lot of research to give you the best products among many. The best thing with these shavers is that they are affordable and comes with fantastic features.
Image Source: Amazon.com
Read More:Product Reviews – Waterpik WP-660UK