Last Updated on
From pricing, to build quality and safety features, there are a number of factors one must consider when choosing a hoverboard. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced recently that no hoverboard is completely safe, however, there are brands that seem to have increase the safety features of these devices hence you need to check the UL certification which is an independent safety certification for hoverboards. The catch here is is trying to figure out which model or brand of hoverboard to buy, despite the fact that there are dozens of brands you may want to consider. Here are some quick tips you should consider;
The Hoverboard Buying Guide- Tips and Ideas to Consider
#1: Always consider brands based in your region because of the availability of warranties.
#2: Do not buy a hoverboard for a child below recommended age limit.
#3: Make sure you read honest reviews on build quality of hoverboards, for instance, Amazon provides such reviews.
#4: It may take a while for a hoverboard to complete charging, hence you need to be patient with it.
#5: Check the speed and distance limits of the hoverboard before buying it. Most will have speed variations of between 2 and 10mph, and may cover up to 10 or 15 miles. You must therefore choose according to the distance and speed you are expected to cover.
#6: Check the weight of the hoverboard before purchasing it, you need to ensure that he hoverboard can be transported easily and it can take your weight. Secondly, do not purchase a weight hoverboard that can hardly climb steepy hills.
#7: always go for hoverboards with return policies- Make sure you avoid knock-offs, hence your preferred overboard must come with a return policy.
#8: Do not consider brand with a history of faulty Lithium Ion batteries- The British government has banned dozens of hoverboard brands from the country due to safety concerns, and most especially faulty batteries. Faulty batteries can cause your hoverboard to catch fire while using the device, hence you must make safety of the product a priority.
#9: when it comes to build qualities of hoverboards, there seem to be some variations in acceptable standards. The build quality comprises of the frame, housing materials and metallic vs. plastic wheels. First of all, the internal electronics, which are the internal sensors and motor must be strong enough. You must watch out for problems such as housings that are scratch-prone, wheel covers that rub against tires and batteries that run down quickly.
#10: Make sure the hoover brand you choose comes with warranties that cover both the build quality and the internal components such as batteries, motor and sensors.
Other factors to consider may include portability. Hoverboards weighing less than 20 pounds can be suitable for people with average body stature while those weighing more than 30 lbs. may be ideal for overweight users.
|Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter||23.5 x 6.66 x 7.5 inches in length, width and height respectively.||4.5/5||$298|
|Official Halo Rover Hoverboard||28 x 8.7 x 9.5 inches in length, height and width respectively.||4.75/5||$599|
|EPIKGO SPORT Balance Board Self Balance Scooter Hover Self-Balancing Board||27.5 x 8.7 x 9.1 inches in length, height and width respectively.||4.75/5||$434.75|
|Skque X1/I Series||25.59 x 9.84 x 9.84 inches in length, width and height respectively.||4.5/5||$479.97|
|Chic Eyourlife Hoverboard||25.98 x 10.51 x 10.52 inches in length, width and height respectively.||4.0/5||$229.99|
|HOVERZON S Series Self Balance Hoverboard Scooter||25.8 x 9.7 x 0.2 inches in length, width and height respectively||4.5/5||$ 239.99|
|SWAGTRON T6 Off-Road Hoverboard||25.7 x 10 x 10.5 inches in length, width and height respectively.||4.75/5.0||$449.99|
|InMotion Mohawk R6||23 x 7.3 x 7 inches in length, width m and height respectively.||4/5||$279.78|
|SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter Motorized 2 Wheel Self Hover Balance Board||24 x 7 x 6.5 inches in length, width and height respectively.||4/5||$199.99|
|TOMOLOO Self-Balancing Scooter||28.31 x 12.01 x 12.6 inches in length, width, and height respectively||4.5/5||$ 369|
Review of the best hoverboards
- 1 #1: Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter
- 2 #2: Official Halo Rover Hoverboard
- 3 #3: EPIKGO SPORT Balance Board Self Balance Scooter Hover Self-Balancing Board
- 4 #4: Skque X1/I Series
- 5 #5: Chic Eyourlife Hoverboard
- 6 #6: HOVERZON S Series Self Balance Hoverboard Scooter
- 7 #7: SWAGTRON T6 Off-Road Hoverboard
- 8 #8: InMotion Mohawk R6
- 9 #9: SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter Motorized 2 Wheel Self Hover Balance Board
- 10 #10: TOMOLOO Self-Balancing Scooter
#1: Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter
This product is regarded as the smartest self-balancing hoverboard for several reasons. First of all, it is designed by “Razor”, which is the leader in global in the manufacture of hoverboards. This product comes with a UL2272 certification, and which are the industry’s highest safety certification on electrical components.
- It comes with a cruising speed of 8+ mph, alongside a very silent 350 watt motor that delivers a run time of 60 minutes of riding at maximum speed.
- Supports weight of up to 220 lbs.
- The 34 V Lithium battery charges quickly and easily. The battery is durable because it is made of authentic LG cells that delivers life extension to the battery life.
- Comes with the EverBalance technology, which is exclusive to Razor. This technology is designed to level automatically the hoverboard, for easier mount especially when climbing hills, hence you can sustain a smooth ride.
- Comes with new, cool, added features such as blue LED light bard display, plus fender bumpers, and LED battery indicator.
- It comes with two riding modes, these are; the training mode, and the normal usage.
- It comes with a Limited manufacturer warranty and despite its full features
- The only con that may be attached to this brand of hoverboard may be the complex nature of some of the extra added features but users can get used to them quickly.
Razor is a brand name that can be trusted in the hoverboard manufacturing industry, and that should give anyone some level of confidence as regards the quality of product to expect. This hoverboard also comes with normal use and training modes, making it easier for beginners to learn the act of hovering or skating very easily with little or no assistance.
#2: Official Halo Rover Hoverboard
This is one of the most feature-packed hoverboards you can find in the market. Just like the Razor hoverboards, it also comes with UL 2272 certification. For the younger guys who love entertainment while they use this hoverboard, the inclusion of Halo Bluetooth Speakers and a Halo Rover Mobile APP are desirable features to explore here.
- Comes with the exclusive Halo technology that provide great sensor that provide the smoothest ride you will enjoy.
- Bluetooth and mobile app technology will ensure that you can blast and share your favourite music from your smartphone through the in-built speakers in the hoverboard. The Halo Rover app will also help you customize the hoverboard to suit your riding preference.
- This is a Hoverboard designed for all terrains, which means you can ride anywhere and on top of any surface, including, sand, mud, snow.
- Comes with three different riding modes, these are; Learning, Normal, and Advanced modes. The learning mode is suitable for beginners using the hoverboard for the first time, while the normal mode is for riding, and the advanced mode for experienced riders. With the Halo Rover, you can switch from one mode to the other easily.
- At about 600$ this hoverboard is perhaps one of the most expensive and the most sophisticated hoverboards in the market.
If you are looking for a high-end hoverboard with lots of modern features for customizing your riding experience, then Official Halo Rover Hoverboard, should be one of the top choices you should consider. It is also a top choice for advanced riders while its learning mode can also provide lots of training for those using a hoverboard for the first time. It is worth mentioning that this hoverboard come with a manufacturer warranty that covers frame and internal components.
#3: EPIKGO SPORT Balance Board Self Balance Scooter Hover Self-Balancing Board
This is a self-balancing scooter hover with lots of features that make it one of the best in the market today. First of all, it is powered by two motors, and it comes with 8.5” rolling wheels hence it is a hover product for flamboyant users. As expected, this product has a UL 2272 Certification and it is designed for the toughest road conditions.
- The 400W dual motors can help the hover climb steepy slopes at 18 degrees more, and they provide 60 minutes of continuous power at a single charge and over a 10 mile range. The dual motor makes this product one of the most powerful in the market.
- Comes with stream-lined racing tires for an increased speed, plus a faster and smoother ride. In term of solidness, the hover is rated at IP56.
- It is water resistant, and can be easily maneuvered through mud, grass and sand.
- It is twice more powerful and about 30% larger than its closest rival, hence it is able to provide more space for the foot, and more control for a more stable ride.
- It comes with an in-built 2-hour fast charging technology.
- Comes with a year limited warranty that covers the cost of labour and parts.
- Comes with a smart LG battery and has undergone 159 tests for safety regulations and fire hazards.
- Very bulky, especially for beginner users. It does not come with a trainer mode.
There is no doubt that this hover is the number one in the market especially for its extra space for the feet, and its dual motor that delivers power constantly. The device also comes with fascinating wheels that you can proudly show off, not to talk of the powerful LG battery that is built against fire hazards. Overall, this is one of the sturdiest hovers you can find around.
#4: Skque X1/I Series
This Hoverboard self-balancing scooter looks so premium, stylish and vibrant, especially with its stunning red colour. This hoverboard comes in three different sizes, these are; 6.5”, 8”, and 10”. It comes with extra features, include the LED lights and the Bluetooth speakers. As expected, the Skque X1/I Series has a UL2272 certification.
- Upgraded motherboard has professional gyro sensors that provide the smoothest ride and there is stronger shell plus enhanced chassis that provide excellent durability for the hoverboard.
- It comes with a personal LED that can serve as your personal transporter.
- The in-built wireless Bluetooth speaker means you can link your smartphone to your hoverboard and enjoy your favourite music as you ride.
- The bright LED lights provide safer riding at night, and the lights are so visible that you can be seen afar of.
- It comes with a limited 1 year warranty that covers parts and labour. The warranty covers essential components such as the balance board, smart balance when, the charger and motor.
- It comes in varieties of colours, these include; red, blue, white, black and pink.
- It may not be as sturdy as some other premium brands such as Razor and Epikgo.
One of the best features you can find on this hoverboard is the bright LED light that can guide you through your paths, even in the darkest periods of the day. The hoverboard has been upgraded several times and it seems to be much better and more functional than the initial model , however, most users will still want more for a price that is almost 500$. This hoverboard will surely deliver any day and it is one of the most suitable products for beginners who want a premium device that offers more than bsic features.
#5: Chic Eyourlife Hoverboard
This is a 6.5 inch hoverboard that has been described as one of the best kids-friendly scooters around. The elf-balancing scooter has UL2272 certification and also has a battery power-off feature for self-protection. It can support a maximum weight of 220lbs, hence most adults can also make use of the scooter. There is an in-built LED light that provides great vision especially in the night.
- This hoverboard comes with safety guarantees for the electrical system, alongside the batteries and charger especially through the UL2272 Certification and battery power-off protection feature.
- The ergonomic design of the board alongside the non-skid footpad combine to provide the best foot grip on the board, and a great ride performance. With its ergonomic design, you can glide through different corners easily, with precise controls.
- It comes with a temperature control system that enhances safety, likewise gyro sensors also ensure smoother ride over different planes.
- It comes with a dynamic performance that guarantees a full speed of 6.2 mph, alongside a runtime of 120 minutes continuously especially for those weighing up to 220 lbs.
- It comes with a pavement adaptability feature that ensures that board is capable of climbing over ramps of 15 degrees and over different terraces such as gravel, obstacles, slopes and ceramic tiles.
- The entire board is water-proof , the board can also ride very well on wet land and under light rain.
- It works best for kids and adults who do not weigh more than 220 lbs. Its board surface is quite small for many adults.
This is one of the best affordable hoverboards for beginner kids and young adults. It comes with a compact stature and its board measurement seems to be suitable for individuals with smaller feet. The hoverboard comes in predominantly black colour and it glides extremely well over different surfaces.
#6: HOVERZON S Series Self Balance Hoverboard Scooter
This hoverboard is definitely one of the top 10 choice for many reasons. Though the Hoverzon brand name may not be one of the best known products in the industry but the S series is surely one of the best products it has ever produced. This hoverboard is UL2272 certified but the key feature here is the availability of dual power 250 watt motor, plus a durable Aegis Armor battery.
- This hoverboard can support up to 220 lbs. of weight and can also support up to 8 mph at a range of 11 miles.
- It is a 2-wheel self-balancing that has passed all electrical safety regulations.
- Self-balancing feature ensures that a dynamic equilibrium is achieved especially with the use of two gyroscopic motors that helps you maintain balance by shifting your body when necessary.
- It is fully loaded with advanced features, which include battery indicators (to monitor the performance of battery), LED lights to provide great vision, rubber bumpers, plus two riding modes ( the learning and the normal mode).
- It comes with the “RIDE SAFE” feature, through the patented Hoverzon Aegis Armor Smart Battery management system, that guarantees a multi-layer protection for the hover skateboard.
- It is quite more affordable than many other premium hoverboards you can find in the market.
- Added feature such as Bluetooth speakers for connecting music from smartphone to the hoverboard are absent.
This hoverboard looks quite simple yet more practical than many hoverboards in the market, the fact that it has multi-layer protection, especially when riding means users will be more protected when they ride on irregular surfaces, especially over steep conditions. With the LED battery indicator, you can quickly discover when you are running out of power and need to recharge, but overall, you can get up to 120 minutes of ride when the battery is fully charged.
#7: SWAGTRON T6 Off-Road Hoverboard
This hoverboard perhaps I one of the most flamboyant and most decorative hoverboards you will find around. First of all it is one of the first of its kind to handle weights of up to 380 lbs. This is a 10 inch wheel hoverboard that comes with UL 2272 certification. It can also support speeds of up to 10 mph nd it boasts of the capability to support all types of riders.
- The T6 is capable of handling weights of up to 420 lbs. thus it can be the most suitable hoverboard for users of all sizes and shapes.
- It glides over all terrains, and you can roll over bumps at angles above 30 degrees, likewise, you can travel through mud, rain, grass and gravel.
- It covers up to a 12 miles in range, and it is capable of reaching speeds of 12 mph.
- Comes with 10-inch durable and rugged tires, these are tubeless tires that re designed for all kinds of terrains.
- The hoverboard allows you to rock while you are riding by making use of the Bluetooth feature to connect your music from your smartphone to the in-built speakers.
- Comes with a limited manufacturer warranty.
- The hoverboard may be quite heavy for some users, especially beginner users.
- It is quite expensive.
- This I one of the best range of hoverboards you can find in the market and it is produced by a trusted brand name. If you are slightly overweight, it makes more sense getting this hoverboard than those that can only support weights of 220 lbs. The availability of Bluetooth speaker also ensure that you stay connected to your entertainment system always. The footpad is completely designed with premium materials, making it so beautiful.
#8: InMotion Mohawk R6
This is a self-balancing hoverboard that looks so stylish, yet sturdy enough to be considered reliable for all types of riders. As expected, it is UL 2272 certified, and it is designed not to overheat. The hoverboard is entirely comprised of black colour. This is a premium product, yet affordable
- It comprises of the top of the line components which include a sturdy Lithium Ion battery that requires between 2 hours of charging time. It comes in several colours, these include; the red, white, violet and white.
- Comes with Smart LED lights for easy illumination, especially within dark environments. It also comes with a zero-degree turning radius plus a 15 degree climbing capacity for all terrains.
- Though, the hoverboard can support weights of up to 265 lbs. the entire piece is relatively lightweight as it only measures 24 lbs.
- It comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty that covers all parts and accessories.
- It comes with an anti-slip foot grip to ensure that you stay secured to the device under any condition.
- Powered by LG battery which is one of the most trusted battery makers in the world.
- Powered by a 250 W brushless motor, as well as 6.7inch vacuum tires.
- Comes with safety lights, including turning signals, brake indicators, and battery life gauge.
- It is completely heat resistant, likewise it is water and dust resistant.
- Does not come with training mode, however, beginners will get used to it quickly.
This hoverboard takes security of users seriously, hence all its components has been certified by appropriate certification bodies. It comes with a reinforced battery casing that can support the roughest rides, and the batteries are equipped with a double het-sensor and a heat absorbing alloy that keeps the battery cool always. If you are very much concerned about the safety and security of yourself or any other person, then this hoverboard should be one of your top considerations.
#9: SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter Motorized 2 Wheel Self Hover Balance Board
This hoverboard can be described as an all-terrain hoverboard that works as a personal transporter for kids and young adults. It comes with a CSA/UL2272 certification, hence there are no potential fire hazards on this hoverboard.
- It comes with a dual 250W motors, which means more power. This dual power helps the hoverboard climb slopes at 15 degree and the battery can last for an hour while covering up to 9 miles, especially when it is fully charged.
- It comes with a LED battery indicator, which means you can go virtually anywhere regardless of the lightning conditions. It also comes with non-slip foot pedals and solid rubber tires for an easy drive over all kinds of terrains.
- It is rated IP56 especially for its solidness and water resistance, likewise, it can be maneuvered easily through different terrains, these include; mud, grass, and sand.
- It is a complete self-balancing hoverboard that allows you to move forward, backwards or even spin in all motions. You can also make use of the tart and stop option which is made possible with the dynamic equilibrium that ensures that riders can easily control the body by shifting their body weights.
- It comes with a fast 2-hour recharge technology, which ensures that you can make use of the hoverboard any time you want.
- It comes with a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty that covers parts and labour.
- At $199 this is one of the best affordable hoverboards you can find around.
- Looks slightly inferior to products of higher ends.
One of the best things about the SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter Motorized 2 Wheel Self Hover Balance Board, is that it is completely affordable, hence you can get it for your child or someone using the hoverboard for the first time. The product also has some of the best features for safety and easily maneuvering.
#10: TOMOLOO Self-Balancing Scooter
This is an 8 inch self-balancing scooter with lots of benefits. The hoverboard can speed at 18km/hr, and can hold up to 256lbs. of weight. As expected, this hoverboard is UL2272 Certified and it comes equipped with some of the best features you can ask for in a gadget of such nature.
- comes with a sturdy frame, and this include features such as Fire-retardant shell, protecting the battery from over-heating, and guaranty safe riding experience.
- Comes with 8 inches giant wheels that are considered to provide strong hold on the road.
- The charging pot comes with a water-proof cap, and this hoverboard can climb at 20 degrees and it balances itself properly with its excellent climbing capabilities.
- Comes with a unique and innovative APP design technology that allows you to customize the colours of the hoverboard, the mode of riding as well as the RGB lights. With this feature, you can also customize the speed sensitivity of the hoverboard. You can use this feature to set up an “AUTO SHUT DOWN TIME”, while the power on/off feature can also be operated with your smartphone.
- It comes with the latest Bluetooth 4.1 stereo speaker which is in-built in the hoverboard, and it provide excellent stereo surround sound ensuring that your riding is filled with the best sounds you cn ever ask for.
- Comes with a maximum speed of 10.6mph plus a maximum travel distance of 9.3 miles.
- May be on the high price, especially for those who want a budget friendly hoverboard in the range of below $200.
For music enthusiasts and those who want a hoverboard with great balance at different inclinations, this would be a perfect option to consider. Though, it comes at a high end price but its delivery is superb and can compete with the best known brand names in the market.
Aside from the factors listed in the buying guide, it is important to look for a hoverboard that provides maximum comfort, especially for those who ride along steepy terrains. For this reason , you may want to try out some hoverboards before you actually make payments for them, except you are purchasing it online. Secondly it is very important to consider the footpad surface of the hoverboard you are buying. Getting one with extremely small surface can impair your ability to control the device, and at the same time, a hoverboard with an extremely large surface will mean that you have to open your legs wider and that can cause you to trip off the rider.
Added extras such as Bluetooth speakers can be nice on hoverboards but they can also be distracting and make it more difficult to control the device. Make sure the foot pad of the board has a gripper that can hold your legs firmly on the surface and ensure that you can spin , move upward or backward as you wish, this will help you maintain your balance at all times.